Wednesday, November 10, 2010

e-books!

Okay, okay, I have resisted long enough. One more article in SLJ about e-books and e-readers and I would have to shoot myself for incompetence. I asked for an e-reader for my birthday and am exploring the possibilities pre- arrival.

I have to agree, this is going to change everything. I don't love curling up with a computer, but the ability to download titles for free from your local library and not have to hoof it there to take out and return them? Wow.

Some of my big readers are already using them. And for kids who need help, the read to me function of some of them may be huge. We make them buy graphing calculators, why not e-readers?

3 comments:

  1. Have you been reading Robin Chicchetti at CCHS? She has been blogging about it too. I got a kindle, a Sony ereader and an ipad from the PTSO last year and the kids will mess around with them, but I am not sensing any longing for a shift. However I began whining for an ipad of my own for mother's day and I am completely hooked now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized that the model I requested (kindle) is not compatible with the local library! They support every other conceivable device. I wonder why.

    I haven't seen that blog - will CCHS get me there?

    My students have iPads and show me how fun they are, but when I went into the store I had trouble. . . . What do you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it - Chelmsford, duh. She linked to the Unquiet Librarian and I was surprised that whoever they are had opted for kindles for a pilot program. Maybe their local library net supports kindles?

    I am so bummed that noblenet doesn't support it. How can that be? Amazon is just so much more natural for me to access, my go to place.

    ReplyDelete