Sunday, May 22, 2011

Just Read

I think I let this go too long and forgot what I've read. Here's my best guess at the last few weeks.

Mercury

Mercury by Hope Larson.

A graphic novel recommended by the new YA librarian at my local library. Wonderful black and white illustrations. The story of two young women in the same family, one hundred years apart. Family tragedy, first love, friendship. This story skirts the line between reality and the supernatural nicely. No vampires or greek gods, but old wives tales told in a way that makes one wonder.



If I Stay [Audiobook][Unabridged] (Audio CD)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Been meaning to read this one for awhile. A young woman daydreams of her boyfriend as her parents and younger brother argue over the choice of music for the trip to grandma's house when a car accident kills all but our protagonist. She is left in a coma, and her narration is out of body. When she realizes that the only thing keeping her alive is her decision whether to stay, and live, or go, and die, she undertakes a blistering examination of her relationships with family and friends and a hard look at her own dreams for the future. It is unclear until the end what she will decide, and this keeps the pages turning nicely. Well done.

Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story

Fat Vampire by Adam Rex.

Ugh. I like a good vampire story, but I couldn't get beyond the first chapter of this one. Skip it, unless bad jokes about fat kids is your thing.





Bite Club (Morganville Vampires, Book 10)

Bite Club by Rachel Caine.

The tenth in the Morganville series, I was a bit under-impressed. I love this series, but Claire's tolerance for Shane's new career as a fight club punk and his easy dismissal of her and the entire Glass house was a bit much to take. Also, the best characters -Amelie, Oliver, Myrnin - only played bit roles. I hope this is not the end, but.



Set to Sea

Set to Sea by Drew Weing.

A beautiful graphic novel. The story begins with a sorry sort who aspires to be a poet but can't find the words. When he's abducted and taken aboard a ship he learns the life of a sailor and gains the necessary material to realize his dream.




Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 11)

  Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris.

      Number eleven in the series. Is Sookie getting whiny or is it just me? Looks bad for Eric and good for Bill - we've come full circle. The foreshadowing promised lots of fairy politics and less of what made the books so much fun. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment