Sunday, March 21, 2010

Second Life et al.

How can you not love a class that gives you the option of skipping the position paper and spending time learning how to fly in SL?

I started this week excited and giddy. I told all of my students, hey, this is graduate school! Doing my part for motivating kids to stay in school.

After many frustrating hours, many propositions from wolves and indeterminate beings in costume, I was fleeing people on SL like the plague. My kids, however, had a blast trying mommy's latest assignment, and had a much less creepy experience, using the same avatar and account. I concede. They are a new generation with new habits and abilities. Their experience, and SLJ's enthusiasm, will keep me plugged into SL until I get it. Thank you, Mary. You got it and brought us along, or tried to!

Facebook has been fun. I have avoided it like I avoided cell phones. But it has enabled me, in one week, to catch up with so many long lost friends. And to hear the day to day of people I love but would not bother with daily emails or phone calls. Fabulous.

I love this class.

1 comment:

  1. You really seem to reach in and grab the positive aspects of these tools. Well done!

    ReplyDelete