Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shelfari Safari

After cruising around the three shelf sites I couldn't resist Shelfari's interface. Like my students, I like to see a book's cover! No-no or not, we often choose (or are initially drawn to) books because of their cover art. Or are too put off by cover art to open the book.

Shelfari makes it easy to see who is reading or has read what I'm interested in, to find alternate reviews, and get a feel for how titles are being received. An interesting addition to the tools I currently use to make choices - School Library Journal, Hornbook, Booklist, Bulletin - but what weight to give it? I think there is a possibility that, over time and assuming due diligence, this might be a more personal and trustworthy resource.

And it's fun!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea about using it to supplement your current review sources. Most of the kids I know use Goodreads rather than Shelfari, but I imagine you can find them there as well. Kid reviews seem to be what is missing from your other sources. Occasionally I will read a book that I think is amazing, but it will end up just being so from my adult perspective and kids don't tend to care for it. And vice versa. These tools can give us a broader picture of what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teenreads actually has some kids on it, too. I often get lost reading their comments and forget why I went there to begin with!

    I have read two books so far this year that, though technically YA, I doubt would appeal to many young readers. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate and Season of Gifts. I loved them both, but something about them makes me think it is the adult in me that is attracted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just gave CALPURNIA TATE to my goddaughter (who was cursed with two older brothers) and have not yet heard back. I adored it and I do hope she does, too. I think you are right about SEASON OF GIFTS. I loved it. I fashion my life after Grandma Dowdel as much as possible. But I am forever trying to get kids to love Richard Peck as much as I do and it rarely happens that they do.

    ReplyDelete